Low-requirement Quests are a great way of getting the first few Mining Levels under your belt. Completing them is generally much faster than Grinding through early Mining Levels traditionally. Quests with higher requirements can be used for getting some additional Mining Experience or as a small leap away from the boring grind. They may be slower, but they are also certainly more engaging than constant ore vein clicking.
- Doric's Quest (Recommended, Skill Requirements: 15 Mining if you want to get Ores by yourself. Rewards: 1300 Mining Experience). Very easy, and very short Quest that lets you breeze through first few Mining Levels. You can buy all the required materials (6 Clay, 4 Copper Ore, 2 Iron Ore) from the Grand Exchange and complete it instantly.
- Plague City (Recommended, Skill Requirements: None. Reward: 2425 Mining Experience, Ardougne Teleport Spell that requires 51 Magic to use). Quick and easy Quest that awards a good chunk of Mining Experience and a handy Teleport.
- The Dig Site (Recommended, Skill Requirements: 25 Thieving, 10 Agility, 10 Herblore. Reward: 15300 Mining Experience, 2000 Herblore Experience, 2 Gold Bars). Quite long, but very rewarding Quest (15300 Mining Experience is huge at low Mining levels). If you meet all the requirements, you should definitely do it. Completing this quest is required for the "Another Slice of H.A.M" Quest.
- The Giant Dwarf (Recommended, Skill Requirements: 14 Thieving, 16 Firemaking, 33 Magic, 12 Crafting, and optionally 20 Smithing, 20 Mining. 2500 Mining, Crafting, and Smithing Experience, 1500 Firemaking, Thieving, and Magic Experience). While this does not offer a great Mining Experience reward, it is still recommended for doing, as completing it is required for the "Another Slice of H.A.M" Quest.
- Another Slice of H.A.M (Recommended, Skill Requirements: 25 Prayer, 15 Attack. Reward: 3000 Mining Experience, 3000 Prayer Experience, the ability to buy Goblin Village Teleport Orbs, access to the Dorgesh-Kaan-Keldagrim Train System). A rather short Quest with some worthwhile rewards and low requirements.
- The Lost Tribe (Recommended, Skill Requirements: 17 Mining, 13 Agility, 13 Thieving. Reward: 3000 Mining Experience, access to the Dorgesh-Kaan Mine). Quite easy and not too long Quest with low requirements, good for gaining some additional early Mining Experience.
- Between a Rock... (Optional, Skill Requirements: 40 Mining, 50 Smithing, 30 Defense. Reward: 5000 Mining, Smithing, and Defense Experience, a Rune Pickaxe). This is definitely worth doing if you meet requirements, as it gives you the second best Pickaxe in the game (Rune Pickaxe requires 41 Mining to use).
- Enakhra's Lament (Optional, Skill Requirements: 45 Mining, 39 Magic, 45 Firemaking, 50 Crafting, 43 Prayer. Reward: 7000 Mining, Crafting, Firemaking, and Magic Experience). A medium-length Quest with quite high requirements, but also good Experience rewards.
- Making Friends with My Arm (Optional, Skill Requirements: 72 Mining, 35 Construction, 68 Agility, 66 Firemaking. Reward: 10000 Mining and Agility Experience, 5000 Firemaking Experience, 2000 Construction Experience, access to the Salt Mines). Another high-requirement, high-reward Quest that is worth doing if you meet requirements and want to gain some additional Mining Experience in an alternative and interesting way.
- Dragon Slayer II (Optional, Skill Requirements: 68 Mining, 75 Magic, 62 Crafting, 70 Smithing, 60 Agility, 50 Construction, 50 Hitpoints, 60 Thieving. Reward: 18000 Mining Experience, 25000 Smithing Experience, 15000 Agility Experience, 15000 Thieving Experience, access to the Myths' Guild, various other rewards). Very long and very difficult Quest suited for only the most experienced Players, but it awards Mining experience, so we are mentioning it here just in case.
If there are any OSRS Skilling rules, this is certainly one of them: If there is an item or a piece of equipment that can make your grind easier, you should use it. Below, we present you a list of items that will make your Mining grind a little easier.
- Stamina Potions - Energy drinks. These are not really required, but if you plan to take your time and Bank mined Ore instead of just dropping it to clear bag space, you should definitely consider using these for faster traveling.
- Varrock Armour 4 - Increase your efficiency. This Armor provides you with a 10% chance of mining 2 mineral Ores at once (up to Amethyst), and a 10% chance of smelting 2 metal Bars at once. You get experience for both Ores if this effect procs, so wearing this speeds up the Mining Leveling process by ~10%. Varrock Armour 4 can be obtained from the elite Varrock Diary. For efficiency's sake, this is a must-have, as it increases both Experience and Gold (if you are Banking mined Ore) gains per Hour. It also counts as a Prospector Jacket which means that you can wear it in a combination with Prospector Outfit Parts for a full Prospector Outfit bonus (earlier versions of the Varrock Armour do not count as a Prospector Jacket, sadly).
- Prospector Kit - Suit up properly. This is a Mining set that boosts Mining Experience gained. It can be purchased from the Prospector Percy's Nugget Shop situated in the Motherlode Mine for Gold Nuggets (180 in total). Full set grants you 2,5% bonus Mining Experience and reduces the need for Waterskins in the desert. If you plan to power level Mining, grinding this will not be time efficient, but you might want to get this if you opt for slower, less exhausting methods.
- Pickaxe - the right tool for the job. You should always use the best pickaxe currently available to you because higher level pickaxes have a greater chance of obtaining ore from a rock. Remember that you don't have to have Pickaxe equipped to use it for mining. The list of Standard OSRS Pickaxes and their requirements looks as follows:
- Bronze Pickaxe (Requirements: 1 Mining).
- Iron Pickaxe (Requirements: 1 Mining).
- Steel Pickaxe (Requirements: 6 Mining).
- Black Pickaxe (Requirements: 11 Mining).
- Mithril Pickaxe (Requirements: 21 Mining).
- Adamant Pickaxe (Requirements: 31 Mining).
- Rune Pickaxe (Requirements: 41 Mining).
- Dragon Pickaxe (Requirements: 61 Mining, if you have 60 Attack, you can use Dragon Pickaxe's special Attack at Level 58 Mining). This is the strongest Pickaxe in the game (tied with the 3rd Age Pickaxe), and getting it should be your ultimate goal.
Note: The Infernal Pickaxe is the best option for Power-Leveling Mining, as it has a 1/3 chance of instantly smelting mined Ore which reduces the number of ores that have to be dropped (auto-smelting also gives Smelting Experience). 85 Smithing and 61 Mining are required for using it.